Friday, February 26, 2010

Stress

When John and I have an argument he skips dinner and I eat his share and more. Tonight I ate a whole box out Oreo Cakesters. OUCH. Finally I got the kids out the door and we went for a walk, but on the way out the garage I stopped at the van to grab a candy bar that I had hiding there. I Have got to control my stress eating.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to that. I am a huge emotional eater. Here are some tips for emotional eating. Maybe they will help.

    Focus on Recognizing Emotions vs. Hunger (I think most of us know when we are emotional and when we are actually hungry...but it all goes out the window when we have a bad day)

    1. Are you hungry because of a thought, feeling, or situation or are you having stomach growling, pain, fatigue, etc.

    2. Does it happen suddenly and you crave certain food or is it gradual and can be satisfied by any food?

    3. Does it lead to mindless munching or lack of awareness at how much you are eating or are you aware of the choice and quantity?

    4. Does it lead to you eating beyond the point of satisfaction and then followed by feelings of guilt or do you eat until satisfied with no guilt?

    Here is the Mastering Part...

    When you are feeling tempted to get lost in emotional eating, ask what it is that you are feeling so strongly about, and what would work to satisfy that feeling besides food.

    Be easy on yourself. If you have been in the habit of using food to cope with strong emotions, it may take a little while for you to identify the feelings and the best non-food response to them. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to understand your needs and some suggestions to help you find a non-food way to meet them.

    * Is it rest/relaxation that you need?
    -Take a nap
    -Enjoy a bubble bath
    -Listen to relaxing music (I downloaded a meditation cd off itunes and listen to it when I get stressed.
    -Peruse a magazine or photo album
    -Take 10 deep breaths or meditate
    -Do some yoga stretchs

    *Is it self-expression that you need?
    -Call a friend
    -Write in a writing notebook/journal
    -Write a letter/ send email
    -Confront the situation

    *Is it support that you need?
    -Get the Touchstones for Success CD put out by Jenny Craig...it is really good. I got it from Amazon for about 17 bucks...
    -Meet a friend for coffee/soda/movie

    *Is it blowing off steam that you need?
    -Get outside for fresh air and short walk
    -Dance to your favorite CD
    -Call a friend who will listen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another tip is to make a list of non-food rewards. If you feel cared for, you will be less likely to feel the need to reward yourself with food.

    Some ideas for non-food rewards
    -Play your favorite song
    -Watch your favorite TV show
    -Talk a walk in the park
    -Enjoy a conversation with friend/family
    -Play with your kids or pets
    -Play a sport you enjoy
    -Give yourself a manicure/pedicure
    -Give yourself a facial
    -Read a book/magazine
    -Take a bubble bath
    -Enjoy your favorite hobby

    Surf the Urge
    Imagine that a food craving is like a wave-it builds slowly, comes to a crest and subsides. When it comes to food cravings/urges, we often think of them as waves that sweep over us, leaving us out of control and with no choice but to submit to their power. Another way to think about the urge is to consider "surfing" it, riding the urge from start to finish in a way that helps you restore your balance.

    Step 1: State clearly to yourself, "This is a food urge."
    Be still, breathe, notice any sensations you are feeling.

    Step 2: Observe your emotional sensations.
    Do you feel anxious, angry, fearful, mad, disappointed?

    Step 3: Use your breath to ride the sensations of your urge.
    As you pay attention to the sensations, also pay attention to your breath. Notice how the urge grows, slowly builds to a peak, and then slowly turns downward and drifts away. Keep following this pattern until the urge has passed.


    Decide to Choose
    1. Decide whether to eat or not. Ask yourself:
    How will I feel if I choose to eat--how will I feel if I don't

    2. Decide what you'll eat. Ask yourself: What is it that I am really hungry for or am I really hungry?

    3. Decide to serve yourself a moderate portion of that food. Use a small plate and put away the serving container, rather than snacking straight from the bag/box.

    4. Decide to eat slowly, using a utensil. Pay attention to each bite and savor the flavor of the food as you chew. Allow yourself 10-20 minutes to enjoy the food.

    5. Decide to leave the dining room or kitchen. Tell yourself you are satisfied and so you are finished eating.


    ***All of these are from the Jenny Craig Weight Loss Manual. I have tried a few of these and they really do help. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete